About Me

My photo
Hi there, I hope you enjoy your stay here in my little corner. The outdoors, knitting and crocheting, gardening, drawing and handcrafting, animals, reading and music, clothing and veganism basically sum up my personal interests. I will do my best to show my little bursts of life that I enjoy and share it in a timely manner. Toodooloo!

Monday, March 7, 2016

tilling the soil

hello there

today was a lovely day for this early in March, the day was overcast and breezy, but oh so warm. humid too, the smell of rain has filled the whole house and every other place ive been to today.


I have been waiting and wanting for the day that I could go out and till and turn the soil in our garden boxes and this afternoon after schooling called out and said "this is it!"




there was much grass and weed present so I spent the majority of the time taking the top layer away and pulling dandilions and clover out, moving the brush into a wheelbarrow and pushing it to the compost. 


after that I began turning the soil. there was some wonderful magic in spiking the soil and turning the layer over, revealing moist clumps of dirt and little critters - life is just waiting to spring forth.

as soon as I can I will take apart the fencing holding together the compost and re-wire it with a stronger material, the chicken wire has fallen apart and not held up the weight of the compost. but I am certainly very excited for the compost, the bottom layers are rich and dark, it will make a wonderful fertilizer! 

the plan is to sow potatoes and possibly peppers or some other hardy spring crop, the weather here can unpredictably freeze and drown the plants...


my mother and i went for a lovely walk after my garden time, and I relaxed with some pomegranate and cherry tea from the osarks, and made a lovely vegetable and rice soup. 



until next time, stay wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment